Weddings are expensive for all the parties involved. The lead up to it can be exhausting with long drives or flights plus constant “what are you wearing?” texts. The day-of for the guests should be a blissful and relaxing experience filled with booze and dancing to fight off jet lag. At the end of the night, guests want to take home a token that shows the bride and groom actually wanted to brighten their evening. No one wants a lame wedding favor, guys. It’s a waste of money, because it gets thrown out and it’s a waste of a perfectly exciting opportunity to thank your guests. That’s why I want to provide you with inspiration for wedding favors your guests will actually want.
There are a lot of options for this, especially depending on the wedding theme or the interests of the couple. You should make it personal, in the way that it feels like something that you would give as a gift and you should also tailor it to the wedding itself. If you’re having a fun fiesta-themed wedding (aka my dream), let them leave with mini sombreros or, better yet, TACO BELL (literally, #goals).
Here are some things to take into consideration when picking a wedding favor:
- Wedding theme
- Your fiance and your interests
- Whether it’s going to be sitting indoors or outdoors/ location of the wedding
- Whether it will be fresh/last after the wedding
- Size of the gift
- Time of the wedding
Also, realize that getting 100+ of anything is going to add up money-wise, so be realistic with what you can afford in your budget. Even if you pick a kick-ass favor, you still may have people leaving it behind or being uninterested in it, so it’s not worth a huge portion of your budget.
Finally, some wedding favors can become exponentially less expensive by just DIY-ing a portion or all of it. I’ll give you a DIY example or version for as many of the following examples I can. Definitely, look around Pinterest and Etsy for cheaper options. It usually can be found without having to sacrifice your great idea.
There is more. There is always more (including my free wedding binder printables), so sign up for K5T’s newsletter before you miss it!
1. S’more love: I have to start with what I know, so here is what I picked for our wedding: s’mores. This is mainly because we had a summer camp wedding and also, we just love s’mores. Who doesn’t?! I think the key for these as a wedding favor is you sort of have to have something for them to cook them on AT the wedding. They can’t be taking home melted chocolate and squished ‘mellows. We had a fire pit (which I unfortunately do not have a photo of) that was lit and ready to roast after dinner.
These whole packs of graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate were handmade by my grandma and mom’s friend (thanks, guys!). All we did was buy the appropriate amount of those three things, clear 200 plastic bags (like these on Amazon) and order custom tags that said “S’more love,” our names and our wedding date. I can’t find the exact tags we ordered, but they were from Etsy and these are also adorable.
P.S. I recommend having enough in each bag for two s’mores. No one has the kind of self control for just one.
If you don’t want to go with “s’more love” this version is pretty awesome too:
All photos below were found on Pinterest.
2. Hangover kits: This idea is genius for the party animal couple. If your #1 wedding priority is an open bar (valid priority by the way) than you want to be a supportive bride/groom for the morning after when they’re facing the repercussions of an open bar. I think this could get expensive, if you don’t limit the amount of items in the bag.
Things you could include if budget was not a factor:
- Custom bag (love this “oh, sh*t kit”)
- Mini water bottle
- Small packet of Advil
- Plastic sunglasses
- 5-hour energy
- Granola bar
Ways to make it cheaper:
- Just do the water bottle + small packet of Advil
- DIY the bag
3. Koozies: I love the idea of koozies, because it’s a practical gift that will be used again (everyone loves a koozie attached to a memory or event) plus it can be used that day if you’re serving bottles or cans. There are so many different sayings that can be put on them, and the Etsy catalog for these is endless.
Below are some of my other favorite sayings:
- “Eat, drink and be married”
- “Cheers to many years and cold beers”
- “Cheers to love, laughter and happily ever after”
- “To have and to hold and to keep your beer cold”
4. His & her favor: This is something that can also be incorporated into the wedding theme. I actually love the idea for polar opposite couples to have an entirely his and hers themed wedding (i.e. cocktails, dessert, etc.). If you have different interests, highlight them! That’s what makes your relationship exciting. As for a wedding favor, you basically just use it to give your guests some options. You can do your favorite candy or snack or you could do your favorite type of coffee, like the two examples below.
The options are endless for this theme, but here are a few additional ideas:
- his/hers mini liquor bottles
- his/hers doughnuts or cupcakes
- his/hers cocktail recipes + mini liquor bottle
Also, remember that you don’t want to assign these to guests. Let them pick from baskets or some sort of display on the way out.
P.S. This Etsy shop has those stickers below.
5. Midnight snack: Again, this depends on the time of the wedding, but often weddings end around 10/11pm and then guests haven’t eaten for 4 hours. Instead of letting them get hangry, give them something to munch on before they head to the after party. Again, you could save a lot of money by just purchasing adorable custom bags and making a couple hundred cookies at home.
OR you could go all out and order a burger or taco from your fiance and your favorite late night spot (i.e. that awesome What-a-Burger idea you’ll see below). I can promise you that would be MUCH appreciated by your guests, but it also might take a little coordination and planning beforehand. I would chat with your wedding planner or day-of wedding planner to be sure it’s even feasible.
Here are some options for midnight munchies:
- French fries
- Chicken Nuggets
It can be really hard to stick to my list of 5 things, so I have to include these few in case you also want more and hate my entire blog format. 😉
- Hot Sauce